Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Our small band of "Hebrew Hippies" celebrated our first sukkot together last night. We gathered at a friend's house to good food, a bonfire, and a blue tarp stretched between two trees, fulfilling the command that our sukka be opened to the heavens. It was, perhaps, one of the most beautiful structures I have ever seen.

Why? This simple tent, designed for us to gather together and share the provisions and blessings of God, stood as a symbol for me. A symbol of this community I have come to know and love.

The beauty of it was that there were "newbees" among us. People who have recently wandered into this fellowship, who desire to either know G-d deeper, or at least see what He is doing through our lives. The beauty was that I had the opportunity to share with people who are becoming more and more like family rather than friends. I watched passion, as we poured over Torah, or shared the heart fire of new missions and dreams G-d is birthing among us. I watched heart break as one couple struggled with a wayward child and decisions they needed to make. I watched joy, as we shared from where we have come, and to where we are going. I watched drive as we talked about how to best help a widow loosely connected to our community -- as to show her G-d and all His provisions.

I reveled in the things happening around me. Spontaneous joy and struggle mingled among people whose hearts it is to do His will, to be His people, to love as He loves, and to reflect our rabbi, Yeshua.

I am thrown prostrate before His greatness. The things I once thought unattainable are swirling around me in a way I never believed. There are days I am in constant communication with my Father in heaven.

Right now, I am watching our worship band at our church. About half of them are a part of this community I speak of. There is joy overflowing, true friendship that extends beyond the boundaries of the task they are working on. I know this is not "the end" of the journey. In fact, more often than not, there is conflict because "iron sharpens iron," and conflict is (in my mind) becoming something that strengthens people who love one another. But for just a brief moment, I am seeing how this community actually can integrate into "the church" as I know it, and make a difference.

More and more, I realize I am called to be a fragrance -- inside and outside of these four walls. I learned a long time ago that only a handful of people in the church are really "saved" -- they get the call of Yeshua and G-d and want to throw themselves wholeheartedly over to Him. I have a friend who told me that part of my job is to "teach the people inside the building how to party for G-d." As sacrilegious as that may sound, what he meant was that because of the position G-d has me in, I do have a responsibility to those inside my sphere of influence -- regardless of the physical place that might be.

So, I fall deeper and deeper in love with my "community" -- those people who walk along this path with me and hold my hand and heart. But I also am coming to understand deeper and deeper the responsibility I have to others who do not yet know of this love affair with G-d and with brothers and sisters who DO understand.

Sukkot is about provision -- G-d never leaving or forsaking His people. Providing even in the wilderness. Perhaps, part of my journey is to provide those stuck inside a "sukka" without an opening to the heavens a glimpse of just what G-d meant when He said he would be their G-d, and they His people.

Maybe. I have to think about that more.

No comments: