Thursday, March 01, 2007

Wow! Two posts in one day ... a record for me.

I was sent this beautiful poem by a friend. She had written it for her brother-in-law's wedding, and I think the whole blogging world should read it.

I have discovered love.
It burst upon my life and seized my full attention with it's color and it's taste.
I remember the steps of my heart. I was heading full on in the direction I felt the Lord lead me, traveling the pace I felt the Lord gave me. I walked forward satisfied, in focus and content. I was far from care and far from need as I walked my faithful walk.
Then one day I remember turning my head and feeling my heart jump as I saw you on a near path. I remember looking down to check my steps-to make sure I hadn't veered off in plain attraction.
I kept my steps and I kept my speed and I kept turning my head only to find you traveling faithfully on your path and at your speed and nearer and nearer to me.
I turned my head one day and you were right there. I looked down and my steps had not wandered and my pace had not broke and our direction had become the same and our fervent speed was one.
Then I knew I had discovered you.
I wanted to give you my heart and never get it back again.
I wanted to take your hand and never let it go.
I wanted to invite you to perfectly delight in all my imperfections.
I wanted to swear my unswerving earthly gaze.
I wanted to share in gain from all your gains and share in suffering all our pains.
I wanted to birth your babies and raise your children next to you.
I wanted you alone to have my smile wrinkles as they formed and my most strong embraces.
I wanted you alone to own my most consistent care and all my earthly whispers.
I wanted you to take all these of mine and I'd take all of your's
-and as if on the stage of simply living we'd pledge and learn and perform
-forever thankful to God for His love He had given; His story He had written for us to live.
So sober in covenant yet drunk in ecstasy we stepped up, on through the curtains, to the stage set before us and we opened the age old gate and entered the holy garden of matrimony.
Where we let our lives and spirits dance
-free and whimsical, light and quick
-like a tongue of flame, lapping about above its ash and ruin
-fueled by the oil of the Spirit and of Truth
-dying but flying
-freer, brighter, and more alive.
As dying living man and wife we live our life through plot and plot with strengthening faith and trust. Humbly knowing the oath we swore was not in vain but ever is in bloom.
Fruitfully we see His stories bloom.
Faithfully we will continue to dance, fanning dead seeds into dying living flames upon this stage
-and we will be the audience ourselves of His great mastery on display
-until we hear Him summon us to deeper joy and clearer sight, further up and further in.
S.Decker
I need to feel this way more often about the man I married. Right now, it seems more of a convenient partnership, with both of us going a hundred miles an hour, often in different directions. The sad part is that I believe he's comfortable with this. And I don't think I am.
Anyway, that's all for now. I just wanted the world to read how talented my friend Suzanna is!

No comments: