Thursday, March 01, 2007

I had a discussion with my friend, Miles, at work this morning.

We were talking about the whole "discovery" of the family tomb of Jesus, Mary, etc. (btw, I feel like it's all too packaged to be anywhere near the truth). Regardless of my personal feelings, I still entered into these types of discussions, because I learn a lot about people and their "religious" beliefs. Today was no exception, and Miles gave me some great insight into why these types of things turn people away from "the church" (organization).

Miles said, "The problem is that, whether these things are true or not, they really aren't going to affect religion. It's about faith. But it's the "church's" reaction to such things that freak people like me out, and chase us away from religion."

I asked him to tell me more, and he said, "Most churches are so close minded that they don't even allow the questions. Everyone is spiritual ... most of us more more spiritual than we're willing to admit. But we can't fit into an organization that blasts us for having questions that don't fit their narrow believe system."

The thing that blows Miles away -- and so many other people -- is that "the organization" is so busy being afraid of the questions -- or formulating pat answers according to their personal and occasionally unbiblical dogma that it would rather not have "those kinds" of people around rather than dealing with their honest questions and searching. Why do we feel like we have to have it cut, dried, tied and offered up onto a plate to people we'd like to tie up and force feed a believe system we've come to accept and very rarely question?

I have beliefs. I like to believe that the things I would die for a biblical and right. Those things are few and far between, because much of what has made up my "religion" has very little to do with truth and much more to do with creed -- what I choose to believe. But for me, that's the beauty of faith. It's belief in things not seen -- beyond proof. Things that sing to our spirit -- things that light in our souls, transported by a G-d who desires to know us on a personal, intimate level. It's relationship -- like I have with my husband, or children, or dearest friends.

I believe that a "religion" that can be that way will be attractive to everyone searching. I know it is to Miles. He's told me that, if the response I give him were the responses he'd gotten at "church" (organization), he probably would be a part. It's not selling G-d short, or "watering down the gospel" (if anything, I think people who say those things are afraid of not having a faith strong enough to endure the questions). It's allowing G-d to be who he says he is, and making myself available to him without conditions imposed by my limited believe system.

But then, I'm not afraid of handing over control to G-d ... most of the time.

1 comment:

Butterflygirl said...

I think Miles and I think a bit alike. That is soooo true...it's like every thing that comes out in media involving church-ology (lack of a word) the church responds to...and it's either this stance "against" or "support"...like the Da Vinci Code..."against" it's all bad...or Amazing Grace..."support" it's all good. And I agree with Miles that it doesn't matter whether those things are true or not...we should be safe to ask the questions. We should be able to bounce...because the brick walls are coming down!